Hello readers – apologies for my silence this week and a good chunk of the last few weeks.
As some may know, I’m running for County Legislator in Onondaga County, New York (Syracuse and surrounding towns and villages) and the election is November 7. I’d been told this was a lot of work – and the tellers were certainly correct. It’s a full-time job doing this right.
Even more so when you’re a political rookie and don’t know what you don’t know.
There are a couple items worthy of your attention this Friday.
- TrumpCare has replaced ACA. A few key facts have been lost in the debate:
- Don’t expect many more health insurers to drop out of the Exchanges; those still in priced in the loss of CSRs a long time ago, which is why rates are so much higher.
- Most of the for-profit health insurers bailed out a while ago for two reasons; they can’t figure out how to make money in the individual market and they can’t deal with the lack of clarity due to President Trump’s conflicting statements and action.
- Remember only about 6 percent of us get our insurance through the Exchanges…
- Reminder – some of the people in DC screwing around with our healthcare have no idea what they are doing. Healthcare is one-sixth of our economy, a major employer, and critically important for each one of us. Yet politicians who admit they don’t know anything about healthcare are trying to “fix” it. This is like putting an English teacher in charge of a nuclear plant.