The annual gathering of the work comp tribes begins tomorrow – here’s a few thoughts from last year’s post.
1. Realize you can’t be everywhere and do everything. Prioritize.
2. Leave time for last-minute meetings and the inevitable chance encounters with old friends and colleagues.
3. Unless you have a photographic memory, use your smartphone to take voice notes from each meeting – right after you’re done – or write down key points immediately. Otherwise they’ll all run together and you’ll never remember what you committed to.
4. Get the NWCDC app for your Droid or iPhone – there’s a web-based version for tablets too. It has the schedule, exhibit hall layout, local map, and a bunch of other handy information and tools.
5. Introduce yourself to a dozen people you’ve never met. This business is all about relationships and networking, and no better place to do that than this conference.
6. Wear comfortable shoes, get your exercise in, and be professional and polished. It’s a long three days, and you’re always ‘on’.
A few sessions you may want to consider:
- Advocacy models for claims handling are gaining traction – as well they should.
- Frequency is declining, but cat claims are unpredictable and hugely expensive – but risk can be mitigated.
- Policy changes are always coming – get a sense for where things are headed.
- The more we understand about pharmacy, the better outcomes our patients will have.
- Sedgwick’s George Furlong will be talking data too – and he knows his stuff.
- Jeff White is a terrific presenter, with an ability to explain really complex things so even I can understand them. His InsurTech session is a must-go.
- Denise Algire and I will be talking about the liability aspect of opioids; who’s going to be left holding the financial bag when the bills come due.
Finally, in these day of YouTube, phone cameras, Twitter, Instachat and SnapGram, what you do is public knowledge. That slick dance move or intense conversation with a private equity exec just might re-appear – to your dismay.
And beware the white man’s overbite!!!