You Bet Your Life was a 1940’s radio quiz show featuring comedian Groucho Marx; contestants vied for prizes and cash.
If you or your family members have pre-existing medical conditions, the election is a reprise of the show – Republicans want to end coverage for pre-ex, and Democrats will keep that coverage in place.
If the Trump Administration’s Texas lawsuit backed by Republican Attorneys General succeeds, you can lose coverage for pre-existing conditions if you change healthplans, switch jobs, move, marry, divorce, or have a child. If Trump and Republicans win the case in Texas;
- Democrats have pledged to pass legislation to ensure pre-ex conditions are covered without higher premiums, while
- Republicans have no plan to cover you.
Briefly, Republican Attorneys General have sued to overturn the ACA, and the Trump Administration is aggressively supporting the suit. The Trump Administration and AGs’ claim the entire law must be thrown out because the individual mandate — a penalty imposed on people who chose to remain uninsured – was killed by the Republican Congress in 2017.
In so doing, it would end protections for those with pre-existing conditions.
Make no mistake, if Trump et al win the suit and you have to change health insurance plans, you are at real risk of losing coverage – or having to pay so much you can’t afford it.
Despite President Trump’s assertions, there is No Republican plan to assure those with hypertension, diabetes, a history of heart disease, cancer, anxiety disorder, or any other health condition will be able to afford health insurance.
If you just won lotto, you’re all set. If not, you’re screwed.
Ignore Trump’s claims that there is a replacement plan in the works because:
- Congressional Republicans have voted dozens of times to overturn the ACA (which would eliminate insurance for your pre-ex conditions) without any plans to require insurers to cover those conditions
- Republicans don’t have any plan, bill, or proposed legislation that would ensure people with pre-ex conditions could get affordable insurance
- one Republican bill would let insurers charge us older folks 10 times more than younger people.
What they do have is bait-and-switch.
As Groucho would say about the Republican claim they’ll cover your pre-ex;
What does this mean for you?
If you or a family member have a pre-existing condition, this election is about you.
If you aren’t sure, here’s a list.
And if you think you can hide your condition, you can’t.
3 thoughts on “The most ridiculous thing I ever heard.”
Joe– thank you for taking the time to research and provide a forum for the facts.
Thanks Kevin – happy to do so
be well – Joe
Also from Groucho – “He may talk like an idiot, and look like an idiot, but don’t let that fool you: he really is an idiot. “
Comments are closed.