Russian general when he learned about F-16s heading to Ukraine…
From Phillips O’Brien…
Its impossible to exaggerate the intensity with which Ukrainians from all walks of life, from the top of the state and military to civil society, were focussed on getting F-16s for the Ukrainian Air Force.
Why F-16s are critical…
- Ukraine’s Air Force is woefully behind the times, their main fighter – the Mig-29 – has been around for 40 years and is beyond obsolete.
- Getting spare parts for the UAF’s Migs is getting harder and harder.
- F-16s are very, very capable – military-speak for they can do lots of things well.
- shoot down other planes
- support ground operations
- launch missiles to hit targets hundreds of miles away
- shoot down incoming rockets and missiles
- Unlike the Mig-29, F-16s have constantly upgraded
- Unlike many other planes, they are relatively simple to maintain and there is a huge stockpile of spare parts
The net is there is no other single airplane that fits the bill as well as the F-16.
Okay, it’s gonna take a very long time to train Ukrainian pilots on the F-16…
An internal US Air Force document indicates Ukrainian pilots – with almost no training – could execute complicated maneuvers albeit it in an F-16 simulator. Multiple sources indicate Ukrainian pilots can be flying the F-16s in combat a few months.
It’s unlikely the F-16s will have much of an impact on the already-started/upcoming Ukrainian offensive, but they will play a major role in Ukraine’s likely long war.
What does this mean for you?
More good news for Ukraine, and bad days for Russian butchers.
2 thoughts on “Wildly off-topic…F-16s”
Interesting – thank you Joe for sharing this insight.
thanks Don – glad it was helpful.
be well Joe
Comments are closed.