What you need to know about the Delta Variant
- Delta is more transmissible than the original COVID and the Alpha variant.
- It may be more dangerous as well; a Scottish study found Delta victims were about twice as likely to be hospitalized than those infected with other COVID versions.
- Various studies indicate full doses of the various vaccines are quite effective at preventing COVID infections, reducing hospitalizations and deaths.
- Canada – Pfizer is 87% effective.
- UK – Pfizer is 88% effective in preventing symptomatic disease; Astra Zeneca 60% effective against symptomatic disease
- Israel – Pfizer 64% effective at preventing infections, 93% in preventing serious problems from COVID infection (note I was unable to locate the actual research; source is the Israeli government.)
- Delta is responsible for the vast majority of new cases in the UK.
- Countries with relatively low Delta infection rates continue to see declines in overall COVID infections.
What does this mean for you?