- Most of Medicaid’s spending is for the elderly and totally disabled.
- Medicaid pays for the majority of long-term care services including at-home care and nursing home services in the US
- Almost 2/3rds of nursing home residents are covered by Medicaid
- A third of the people treated for opioid addiction are covered by Medicaid and CHIP
- Almost half of the people on Medicaid have a functional limitation, a quarter are in poor or fair health.
Medicaid reimbursement is generally low compared to private insurance or Medicare, but that doesn’t mean access is severely limited. In fact, (about 70% of physicians do accept new Medicaid patients versus about 85% who accept new privately insured and Medicare patients) (ESI is employer insurance)