The annual gathering of the work comp tribes begins today – I’m reprising a post from a couple years ago on lessons I’ve learned…
1. Realize you can’t be everywhere and do everything. Prioritize.
2. Leave time for last-minute meetings and the inevitable chance encounters with old friends and colleagues.
3. Unless you have a photographic memory, use your smartphone to take voice notes from each meeting – right after you’re done – or write down key points immediately. Otherwise they’ll all run together and you’ll never remember what you committed to.
4. Introduce yourself to a dozen people you’ve never met. This business is all about relationships and networking, and no better place to do that than this conference.
5. Wear comfortable shoes, get your exercise in, and be professional and polished. It’s a long three days, and you’re always ‘on’.
Finally, in these day of YouTube, phone cameras, Twitter, Instachat and SnapGram, what you do is public knowledge. That slick dance move or intense conversation with a private equity exec just might re-appear – to your dismay.
And beware the white man’s overbite!!!